[OSGeo-Discuss] Changes (and proposed changes) regarding the Code of Conduct

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Tue Dec 11 17:32:36 PST 2018

Rather than guilty until proven innocent, I think the covenant proposes
a neutral and evidence-based approach. Mandating good faith as a
starting point unfortunately enables bullies who provoke a response and
then hide behind "X can't take a joke" or other minimisation to further
harm their victim. I have not seen this in OSGeo but I have seen it in
several cases elsewhere and I hope we will all be sufficiently alert to
prevent it. I think that a proportionate and sensitive response will
encourage consideration of the feelings of others without harming our
collegial atmosphere.

As another cross-cultural example, several of our members have given
names that are masculine in Italian but feminine in English, resulting
in their occasional misgendering on mailing lists and pull requests.
While I found this amusing and assumed that it was unintentional, I also
knew that some might find such misgendering insulting or hurtful and in
any case it was not a good precedent, so I took the time to gently point
out the mistake in private (IIRC). In each case, the mistake was not
repeated. We can all take little actions that contribute to a welcoming
environment.

Kind regards,
Ben.

Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>