[OSGeo-Discuss] Changes (and proposed changes) regarding the Code of Conduct

Hans Gregers Hedegaard Petersen gregers at septima.dk
Wed Dec 12 00:50:24 PST 2018

Dear Ben, all,

I think people might be confused about the "presumption of good faith".
Presumption does not mean that one can "hide behind" obvious bullying, it
does not even mean that people who actually do joke will not be
"convicted". The presumption of good faith means that reasonable doubt
should benefit the accused - not the accuser. From a probability viewpoint
removing the presumption of good faith would balance "guilt" at 50/50%. In
other words this would give an ill-intended accuser a 50/50 chance of
success by the act of accusation alone. With the presumption there is a
shift such that you might need to be guilty with a probability of more
than, say, 70% before conviction.

Probabilities aside I think that Arnulfs philosophical point is by far more
important: The openness and assumption of good faith is the keystone[1] of
our foundation.

Best regards,

Greg

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_(architecture)