[OSGeo-Discuss] Introduction

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:11:26 PDT 2019

Hi Pierre,

Welcome to the OSGeo community. It sounds like you have grit and
tenacity if you have been sticking with a project for 11 years. They are
valuable qualities in an open source developer.

I'll give you some tough advice which you possibly were not looking for.
(You'd really want to get some co-contributors, right?)

Most Open Source projects fail.
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2018/11/comprehensive-research-into-open-source.html

One of the key criteria for long term success is to attract community. I
feel it is much better to start with a community and then build
software, rather than start with software and then attract community.

With open source software, it is best to use, extend, create (in that
order).

I'd suggest look at existing OSGeo projects. Do any do what you do? If
so, then join that project and that community. If something is close,
then join the community and offer to add your extra functionality into
their codebase. (I know, it will be harder than doing it yourself, but
the advantage is that you will get a community.)

In looking for established projects, check out:
https://live.osgeo.org/en/metrics.html (and pay more attention to the
projects which have a strong community.)

Good luck.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier