[Geomoose-users] GM 1.6 Identify subset of layer features

Brian Welch Brian.Welch at CI.NORTHFIELD.MN.US
Wed Dec 1 15:59:36 EST 2010

Thanks Brent,

My experience with GM 1.6 is that white spaces in layer names kills the Identify process, even if the names in the XML file match the layer map file and the Identify.map layer name. My workaround has been to use underscores for any layers that provide feedback with the Identify tool. It's been a useful way to cue the users that the layer is "Identifiable".

Since I have many layers in my Identify. map file I've pasted just the two that correspond to the parcels and the colleges (see below message text). Note that both refer to the same shapefile that contains all of the parcels for the region. I don't want to eliminate the college parcels in the generic parcel file since the college layer is one that is off by default (and it's off the Identify tool returns only results for the generic parcel layer). Likewise I wouldn't want to eliminate the college parcels from the generic parcel Identify.map layer since that would still return parcel-specific information.

My goal is to allow interested users to turn on the college layer and then be able to click college-owned parcels to see additional information related to the college. I don't mind that both the college and generic parcel information shows up in the Information tab (that's actually a good thing!). I just don't want the college data to show up for the non-college parcels, even if the college layer is turned on.

I had hoped that it would be possible to utilize the underlying generic parcel data for both, but it looks like I'll have to export a separate shapefile for the college overlay in order to get the Identify to differentiate between the underlying parcels and the college parcels. Unless anyone has a new suggestion...

Thanks!

Brian

 LAYER # Rice Co. Parcels Polygon Layer
  NAME 'RiceCo_Parcels'
  DATA 'landrecords/RiceCo_parcelsUTM.shp'
  STATUS ON
  TYPE POLYGON
  METADATA
  qstring_validation_pattern '.'
  END
  TEMPLATE 'landrecords/identify_RCparcel.html'
  TOLERANCE 0
 END

 LAYER # Colleges Polygon Layer
  NAME 'Colleges'
  DATA './landrecords/RiceCo_parcelsUTM.shp'
  STATUS ON
  TYPE POLYGON
  METADATA
   qstring_validation_pattern '.'
  END
  CLASSITEM 'DEEDHOLD'
  TEMPLATE './landrecords/identify_Colleges.html'
  TOLERANCE 0
  CLASS
   EXPRESSION /*COLLEGE/
  END
 END

--------
Brian Welch, GIS Technician
City of Northfield
Northfield, MN 55057
507-645-3027

>>> Brent Fraser <bfraser at geoanalytic.com> 12/1/2010 2:37 PM >>>
I think GM 1.6 strips the spaces before passing the layer names to mapserver.  So in theory you could have a map title of "My Colleges" in the mapbook and a layer with a name of MyColleges in the mapserver map file.

As for the results problem, it's difficult to say without seeing the entire identify.map (and the <map> defs in the mapbook), but I'd guess you have two layers in your indentify.map: one for college parcels and one for other parcels.  You need to have a class in the the other parcels layer that does not include colleges (basically negate the expression in the college layer)