[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Apr 6 06:05:44 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 11:47:25AM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 6 April 2017 at 11:39, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:

> > This was the plan since February 2016:
> > https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geos-devel/2016-February/007404.html
>
> A plan rolling for year(s) is a plan to be ignored/forgotten about.

Well, I hadn't forgotten. It's easy to upvote a proposal, not as easy
to put it in practice. It took that much time for me.

> >  1) We don't have to migrate all tickets
>
> Is that an obstacle really?
> You have already written a tool, haven't you?

I did, but it looses references to actors doing the changes
unless they all already logged at least once in Gogs.

> >  2) We don't have to migrate wiki
>
> The whole Wiki should be moved to reST/Markdown file sin /docs folder,
> easily to browse and read w/ Web,
> easy to update (commit or pull request if one doesn't have access).

I suggest looking for a Trac plugin to make that possible to do
incrementally. Or you could contribute to the
migration tool to also import wiki:
http://strk.kbt.io/projects/go/trac2gogs/

> >  3) I can keep replying to trac tickets by mail
> >     (https://strk.kbt.io/blog/2015/11/11/trac-from-mutt/)
> >  4) We get proper notifications upon ticket comments
> >     (Gogs is still short on features with this)
> >  5) We get spam filtering (lacking in Gogs)
>
> Grr! I had been proposing switch to GitHub to save us a lot of time,
> and things actually done/working .

You can save a lot of time by not doing any migration
(as we're doing now). Let me know what makes you waste
time while working with Trac, so maybe we can improve that.