[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Apr 6 06:59:21 PDT 2017

On 6 April 2017 at 15:05, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 11:47:25AM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> On 6 April 2017 at 11:39, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
>> > This was the plan since February 2016:
>> > https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geos-devel/2016-February/007404.html
>>
>> A plan rolling for year(s) is a plan to be ignored/forgotten about.
>
> Well, I hadn't forgotten. It's easy to upvote a proposal, not as easy
> to put it in practice. It took that much time for me.

I meant, I have.

>> >  2) We don't have to migrate wiki
>>
>> The whole Wiki should be moved to reST/Markdown file sin /docs folder,
>> easily to browse and read w/ Web,
>> easy to update (commit or pull request if one doesn't have access).
>
> I suggest looking for a Trac plugin to make that possible to do
> incrementally.

As you know, I am going to try automate the process.
Hence my request in https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1903

> Or you could contribute to the
> migration tool to also import wiki:
> http://strk.kbt.io/projects/go/trac2gogs/

No, I don't plan to import/export Wiki.
The Wiki needs to be moved manually into flat files as docs.
In terms of collaborative writing, there is no difference between Wiki vs Git.
In terms of docs disintegration, the difference is clear. Wiki should go
or be used exclusively as scratchpad.

Once that is done, we can think of re-building GEOS website
with proper docs, etc. (see PROJ.4, PDAL as examples).

>> >  3) I can keep replying to trac tickets by mail
>> >     (https://strk.kbt.io/blog/2015/11/11/trac-from-mutt/)
>> >  4) We get proper notifications upon ticket comments
>> >     (Gogs is still short on features with this)
>> >  5) We get spam filtering (lacking in Gogs)
>>
>> Grr! I had been proposing switch to GitHub to save us a lot of time,
>> and things actually done/working .
>
> You can save a lot of time by not doing any migration
> (as we're doing now). Let me know what makes you waste
> time while working with Trac, so maybe we can improve that.

The GitHub vs others debate is a waste of time,
we choose the latter gaining zero technological advantage.

Anyhow, I am going to use GitHub (and PRs) as the primary
channel for commits, to allow myself the advantage of pre-factum CI..

Best regards,