[GRASS5] [bug #4052] (grass) gis.m: d.vect.thematic legend window interferes with map window

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 7 08:58:56 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> I just uploaded updates to gism2 that fix the issues with thematic mapping.
>
> Essentially, I've created a new legend output window as a TclTk canvas in
> the GIS Manager. This has several nice features:
>
> Users can select the font (including size, bolding, italics, etc) and font
> color for the legend title, subtitle, and item labels

That is great. The default setting of 14 for the title font gives me
title which goes beyond the top of the canvas, though. Setting it to 13
solves that.

> The display of thematic items is nicer
>
> You can save the legend to a very nice EPS file for use in other programs.

Very cool.

Seeing that it is possible to save the legend as a vector eps file
(which I can then nicely convert to other vector formats for further
layouting) makes me wonder whether it would be possible to do the same
for the entire map.

At present the map is a raster image stored in the dispmon* files. Thus
it cannot be exported to a vector format. Would it be feasible to
actually change this system, so that the map is displayed in a vector
format in the canvas, just as the legend ? Or is this too slow in tcl ?
Too complicated trying to deal with geographical coordinates ?

Moritz