[GRASS-dev] extraneous files in grass-6.2.0RC2.tar.gz & 6.2.0 release plans

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Oct 8 08:40:56 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:

> "lib/init/gis_set.tcl.orig" shouldn't be there.
>
> $ tar tzf grass-6.2.0RC2.tar.gz | grep gis_set.tcl
> grass-6.2.0RC2/lib/init/gis_set.tcl.orig
> grass-6.2.0RC2/lib/init/gis_set.tcl
>
> also,  visualization/nviz/scripts/nviz2.2_script.orig
>
> they don't seem to be in CVS so problem is just left over local files.
> ("? path/filename" at start of processing with "cvs update -q")

CVS ignores files and directories which match specific patterns; by
default, the list includes "*.orig". It won't attempt to check in or
update such files, and they won't be listed with a "?" if you update a
directory.

>From the CVS Info file:

: Ignoring files via cvsignore
: ============================
:
:    There are certain file names that frequently occur inside your
: working copy, but that you don't want to put under CVS control.
: Examples are all the object files that you get while you compile your
: sources.  Normally, when you run `cvs update', it prints a line for
: each file it encounters that it doesn't know about (*note update
: output::).
:
:    CVS has a list of files (or sh(1) file name patterns) that it should
: ignore while running `update', `import' and `release'.  This list is
: constructed in the following way.
:
:    * The list is initialized to include certain file name patterns:
:      names associated with CVS administration, or with other common
:      source control systems; common names for patch files, object files,
:      archive files, and editor backup files; and other names that are
:      usually artifacts of assorted utilities.  Currently, the default
:      list of ignored file name patterns is:
:
:               RCS     SCCS    CVS     CVS.adm
:               RCSLOG  cvslog.*
:               tags    TAGS
:               .make.state     .nse_depinfo
:               *~      #*      .#*     ,*      _$*     *$
:               *.old   *.bak   *.BAK   *.orig  *.rej   .del-*
:               *.a     *.olb   *.o     *.obj   *.so    *.exe
:               *.Z     *.elc   *.ln
:               core
:
:    * The per-repository list in `$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/cvsignore' is
:      appended to the list, if that file exists.
:
:    * The per-user list in `.cvsignore' in your home directory is
:      appended to the list, if it exists.
:
:    * Any entries in the environment variable `$CVSIGNORE' is appended
:      to the list.
:
:    * Any `-I' options given to CVS is appended.
:
:    * As CVS traverses through your directories, the contents of any
:      `.cvsignore' will be appended to the list.  The patterns found in
:      `.cvsignore' are only valid for the directory that contains them,
:      not for any sub-directories.
:
:    In any of the 5 places listed above, a single exclamation mark (`!')
: clears the ignore list.  This can be used if you want to store any file
: which normally is ignored by CVS.
:
:    Specifying `-I !' to `cvs import' will import everything, which is
: generally what you want to do if you are importing files from a
: pristine distribution or any other source which is known to not contain
: any extraneous files.  However, looking at the rules above you will see
: there is a fly in the ointment; if the distribution contains any
: `.cvsignore' files, then the patterns from those files will be
: processed even if `-I !' is specified.  The only workaround is to
: remove the `.cvsignore' files in order to do the import.  Because this
: is awkward, in the future `-I !' might be modified to override
: `.cvsignore' files in each directory.
:
:    Note that the syntax of the ignore files consists of a series of
: lines, each of which contains a space separated list of filenames.
: This offers no clean way to specify filenames which contain spaces, but
: you can use a workaround like `foo?bar' to match a file named `foo bar'
: (it also matches `fooxbar' and the like).  Also note that there is
: currently no way to specify comments.