[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #5218] (grass) wingrass: creating new location from startup screen with projection values fails

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 04:50:25 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:17:13AM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Michael Barton via RT wrote:
> >This won't work because it requires an interactive xterm. This is not
> >currently available in wingrass, though I think I remember some discussion
> >by Glynn suggesting that it might (or might not) be possible to compile
> >wingrass in such a way as to make this and similar functions work.
>
> But there is a terminal, but it fails before getting to the screen where you
> define the location extension. So must be something about how this screen is
> constructed.
>
> If I do not use Huidae's grass.bat (which actually launches cmd.exe as
> terminal), but I launch grass from a Msys teminal (after setting path to
> include postgresql/bin and GRASS_WISH=wish84), and I then try to launch the
> location creation with projection values, it fails immediately, with the
> following error:
>
> Cleaning up temporary files.....
> Starting GRASS ...
> 'clear' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
> ou externe, un programme ex‚cutable ou un fichier de commandes.
> LINES value must be >= 2 and <= -9808: got 1
> initscr(): LINES=1 COLS=1: too small.
>
> Moritz

Programs compiled with the pdcurses library do not work with the MSys
terminal because of the above-mentioned problem.  That's why I used
cmd.exe for grass.bat.  If NO modules called from gis.m use the curses
library, rxvt.exe (MSys terminal) would be a better option because it
opens std* channels extensively used in TclTk codes.

I cannot decide which one is better between cmd.exe and rxvt.exe :-(.
Any idea?

Huidae