[Incubator] idea: combine project status and incubation checklist

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 19:13:24 PST 2012

There is a lot of overlap between these two templates:
- Project Status Template (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/statustemplate.html) version 1.1 ( wiki Project Status Template (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Status_Template) draft)
- Project Graduation Checklist (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html)

And there are a few areas which are out of date:
- Project Status Template (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/statustemplate.html) <-- use of OSGeo branding for project website <-- we never got official website branding out of the marketing committee (well we got something but it has not been applied to the osgeo home page yet)
- Project Evaluation Criteria (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/evaluation.html) <-- "9. Project is willing to migrate some or all of its infrastructure (code repository, web site, wiki, mailing list, etc) to foundation support infrastructure, and to adopt a website style consistent with the foundation."

Reminder - here is the incubation process:
General Principles of Incubation (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/principles.html)
Incubation Process (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/process.html)
Incubator Application Questionnaire (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/application.html)
Project Evaluation Criteria (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/evaluation.html)
Incubation Mentor Guidelines (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/mentor.html)
Code Provenance Review Process (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/codereview.html)
Project Status Template (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/statustemplate.html)
Project Graduation Checklist (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html)
Project Retiring Process (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_retiring_process.html)

Since both Project Status Template and Project Graduation Checklist occur after the hands on review I think we can either:
a) combine the two documents into the single checklist; or
b) issue a new Project Status Template (removing the sections which are now covered by the checklist)

My preference is (a) and I am willing to write up a proposal, unless someone can remind me why we have two separate documents here?