[Incubator] gvSIG project graduation (Update)

Alvaro Anguix aanguix at gvsig.com
Tue Oct 27 02:29:49 PDT 2015

Hi Cameron, all,

El 26/10/15 a las 21:46, Cameron Shorter escribió:
> Alvaro, Dimitris,
> Thanks for copying this documentation into a more prominent location,
> but you have missed the core message from my comments. The quality of
> the documentation is not yet of a standard worthy of professional
> software.
>
> Would you use such documentation in a bid proposal for new work, when
> competing against other companies? Because people reviewing the
> quality of gvSIG will look at documentation like this to assess the
> maturity of gvSIG.
Well, in my experience the clients never select a company by these type
of things. A client select a company by its experience, cv, etc...
We have clients around the world, and never, never a client ask us about
this type of technical documentation (about gvSIG or any other of the
open source software that we use -mapserver, geoserver, postgis,
openlayers, leaflet..-).
But this is another discussion.  For another day.
:-)

> Personally, I find this documentation worthy of a first draft,
> possibly written by a developer, which needs review from a technical
> writer, of business development manager or similar, who is used to
> writing concise technical documentation.
>
> I've copied the documentation into a word document, then used track
> changes and comments to give you an indication of what I would expect
> from such a review, and the level of quality that I think should be
> considered the norm for an OSGeo Graduated project.
>
> I realise I'm being harsh in my comments, but I hope you find it
> better to hear such comments from a friend, rather than being judged
> and dismissed by your potential customers further down the track.
Thanks a lot for your work and for your suggestions to improve this
document. We have updated it [1] based on your comments,
Really, I think that now we have a better information for developers.

With this issue solved...are we ready?

[1]
http://docs.gvsig.org/plone/projects/gvsig-desktop/docs/about-technical-decisions/

Regars,