[mapserver-users] e00 to shp

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 14 09:45:47 EDT 2001

Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> Is there a reasonable method of conversion of ESRI e00 files to Shape
> files for normal MapServer use in the Linux world, or will MapServer now
> deal directly with e00's?

MapServer doesn't read E00's and likely never will since E00 is an ASCII
format and would be too slow to access in a web application.  However,
MapServer may be able to read binary coverages directly at some point...
most of the lower-level work is done already in my AVCE00 library
(http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/e00/index-avce00.html)... I'm just
waiting for someone interested in funding development of an
OGR->coverage driver.  :)

OK, back to your problem... there may be some free (as in Open Source)
tools to convert from E00 to SHP but I'm not sure.  For sure a great
tool would be Safe Software's FME... you can get a trial version at
http://www.safe.com/

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca