[mapserver-users] Complex Symbols?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at Zhrodague.net
Fri Nov 1 13:09:39 EST 2002

> I scoured the mailing lists for information on making the exact same symbol
> recently.  It shows up in the archives several times.  I hate to say
> anything can't be done, but I've not found any way to do this in MapServer.
> MapServer gives a continuous smear for symbols for "line" type layers.
>
> I got close using a centered truetype "t" label without any symbol.
> Unfortunately it doesn't turn out quite right.  Labeling occurs on a per
> segment basis, which gives no uniformity.  It was a hack anyway.

	We use a circle with a large size (like 8 or 12 or something), and
our railroads come-out sorta like this:

	XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

	Railroads aren't really our bag, so we kinda don't care --
as long as it doesn't look like a normal road. Couldn't you use a truetype
"+"-char?