[mapserver-users] compile problems

Caffeinate The World mochaexpress at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 23 15:51:46 EST 2002

That's for doing that fix. I was using GD 2.0.1 when I got that problem. That GD version worked fine with PHP and various formats but apparently MapServer didn't think it had those image formats supported in GD.
I just installed GD 2.0.7 and all is good now.
Another issue that came up during the install was this error:
checking whether we should use PHP's regex... no
        PHP/MapScript module configured.
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating mapscript/php3/Makefile
ns01$ gmake
gcc -c -O2  -Wall -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA  -DUSE_EPPL -DUSE_PROJ -DUSE_PROJ_API_H -DUSE_WMS
 -DUSE_TIFF -DUSE_JPEG -DUSE_GD_SWAP_XY     -DUSE_POSTGIS   -I/usr/local/include  -I/usr/lo
cal/include -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/pkg/include       -I   maptemplate.c -o maptemplate.o
gcc: No input files
gmake: *** [maptemplate.o] Error 1
ns01$
---
I searched the archive and found two other instances where some one else had that problem but no replies/solutions were given.
I tracked the problem down to the configure options:
--with-postgis[=ARG]         Include PostGIS Support (ARG=yes/path to pg_config)
--with-freetype=DIR     Specify where FreeType is installed (DIR is path to
                          FreeType 2.x freetype-config program or FreeType
                          1.x/2.x install dir).
The above references 'path to XXXX', most would type the actual directory path like:
--with-postgis=/usr/local/bin \
--with-freetype=/usr/pkg/bin \

Which will result in that "gcc: No input files" error. Instead they should supply the full path of the program:

--with-postgis=/usr/local/bin/pg_config \
--with-freetype=/usr/pkg/bin/freetype-config \ # Only if FreeType 2.x

 Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:Caffeinate The World wrote:
> I get this compile error in both latest stable and nightly built:
>
> --- from nightly built
>
> ns01$ gmake
> gcc -c -O2 -Wall -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA -DUSE_EPPL -DUSE_PROJ
> -DUSE_PROJ_API_H -DUSE_WMS_S
> VR -DUSE_TIFF -DUSE_JPEG -DUSE_GD_SWAP_XY -DUSE_POSTGIS
> -I/usr/local/include -I
> /usr/local/include -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/pkg/include
> -I/usr/local_install/postgre
> sql-7.2.3/include mapwms.c -o mapwms.o
> mapwms.c: In function `msWMSGetCapabilities':
> mapwms.c:705: syntax error before `,'
> gmake: *** [mapwms.o] Error 1

Hi,

I have committed a fix for this. It looks as if you don't have any of
USE_GD_GIF, USE_GD_PNG, USE_GD_JPEG or USE_GD_WBMP defined for some reason
so there are none of the strings in the #ifdef selected.

However, even with my fix it is clear you aren't going to be able to operate
properly since you will have no formats supported. I would suggest looking
into why none of the USE_GD_XXX constants are defined in your makefile.
When I compile mapwwms.c it looks like this:

gcc -c -g -Wall -DENABLE_STDERR_DEBUG -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA -DUSE_EPPL -DUSE_PROJ
-DUSE_PROJ_API_H -DUSE_WMS_SVR -DUSE_WMS_LYR -DUSE_TIFF -DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_GD_JPEG
-DUSE_GD_WBMP -DUSE_GD_FT -DUSE_OGR -DUSE_GDAL -DUSE_POSTGIS -DUSE_THREAD
-I/usr/include -I/home/warmerda/gdal/port -I/home/warmerda/gdal/core
-I/home/warmerda/gdal/ogr -I/home/warmerda/gdal/ogr/ogrsf_frmts -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/pgsql/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/w3c-libwww
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H mapwms.c -o mapwms.o

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at pobox.com