[Mapserver-users] Australian Setup for MapServer

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:32:04 EST 2004

You might want to start with an abbreviated map file for the shp's, or
even for a single .shp file, and see if you can get that to work.  It's
also acceptable to send a file snippet to the list when asking for help.

Confirm the projection you're working in with the .shp files, and look
again at your extents.  Make sure the units are consistent.  I am not
familiar with AGD projection... but according to the proj EPSG file, it
appears to have either a UTM version (EXTENT would them be in meters)
and a lat/lon version: that'd be in decimal degrees, with South and West
represented as negative values.

Hopefully this will get you pointed on the right track.  Remember to
post to the list for responses, as A) someone who's been bitten like
this might be able to help now, and B) it might help someone in the
future.  Archives are your friend!

The snippet below should get you some direct idea of how a working
version is set up.  It's a portion of my .map for
http://mesonet.tamu.edu/currentwx.html:

NAME TxMeso
STATUS ON
SIZE 700 700
#SIZE 650 650
EXTENT -106.8 25.8 -93.52 36.4
UNITS DD
SHAPEPATH "/var/www/mesonet/texas/data"
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
FONTSET "fonts.list"
SYMBOLSET "symbols.sym"

IMAGETYPE PNG

WEB
   TEMPLATE "mesonet1.html"
   FOOTER mesonet_footer.html
   MINSCALE    25000
   MAXSCALE 50000000
   IMAGEPATH "/var/www/mesonet/tmp"
   IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
   METADATA
     WMS_TITLE "MesoNet Texas"
     WMS_ABSTRACT "Realtime Weather Interface"
     WMS_ACCESSCONSTRAINTS none

     # change this value to match your setup
     WMS_ONLINERESOURCE "http://mesonet.tamu.edu/index.php"

     WMS_SRS "EPSG:4269"
   END
END

                                                                     #
Start of scalebar
#
SCALEBAR
   IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
   BACKGROUNDCOLOR 0 0 0
   LABEL
     COLOR 128 128 255
#    COLOR 1 1 1
     SIZE medium
   END
   STYLE 1
   SIZE 150 4
   COLOR 128 128 255
#  UNITS MILES
   UNITS kilometers
   INTERVALS 4
   TRANSPARENT TRUE
   STATUS on
END

#
# Legend
#
LEGEND
  STATUS ON
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  POSTLABELCACHE ON
END

#
# Start of symbol definitions (we're only using a few)
#
SYMBOL
   NAME 'circle'
   TYPE ELLIPSE
   POINTS 5 5 END
   FILLED FALSE
END
SYMBOL
   NAME 'pwvcircle'
   TYPE ELLIPSE
   FILLED TRUE
   POINTS 10 10 END
END
LAYER
SIZEUNITS pixels
   NAME rain
   TYPE line
   DATA rain_dd
   STATUS false
   CLASS
     NAME 'Rainfall Contours'
     COLOR 25 20 200
   END  # CLASS
END  # LAYER

# Roads
LAYER
SIZEUNITS pixels
PROJECTION
         "init=epsg:4269"
END

   NAME roads
   TYPE line
   DATA usdotrds
   STATUS false
   CLASS
     NAME 'Roads'
     COLOR 132 132 132
   END
END  # LAYER

# Lakes and Rivers
LAYER
SIZEUNITS pixels
PROJECTION
         "init=epsg:4269"
END
   NAME rivers
   TYPE polygon
   DATA hydgen
   STATUS false
   CLASS
     NAME 'Lakes & Rivers'
     TEMPLATE "lakes.html"
     COLOR 100 125 225
   END

   HEADER "lakes_header.html"
   FOOTER "lakes_footer.html"

   TOLERANCE 3

END  # LAYER

# Radar Layer
LAYER
   TYPE RASTER
   STATUS ON
   NAME radar
SIZEUNITS pixels
PROJECTION
         "init=epsg:4269"
END
   DATA "/var/www/mesonet/gemdata/images/radar/01_mesonet.gif"
   OFFSITE 255 255 255
   CLASS
     COLOR -1 -1 -1
     NAME 'Doppler Radar Mosaic'