place a point in the map

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Mon Jul 11 10:20:13 EDT 2005

If you don't want to place your data in ESRI shapefiles or a database, you can use a simple text file as the data source for a layer.

If your Mapserver binary has been compiled with OGR support (quite likely), you can use a virtual data source.  Take a look at the Vector Data Access Reference http://ms.gis.umn.edu:8081/ms_plone/docs/reference/vector_data/VirtualSpatialData

If you search the list archives for OGR and VRT, you will most likely find some example map file layers.

David.

David Fawcett
Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance
david.fawcett at moea.state.mn.us
651.215.0200

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of SUBSCRIBE MAPSERVER-USERS Nuri
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 4:52 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] place a point in the map

Recently I managed to create my own map and placed a symbol in it from a
database.

Now I need to place several points in the map. My database contains gps
coordinates like this:

4216 9669 259

Latitude: 42º 16'N
Longitude: 258ºE

I translated this gps coordinates to UTM coordinates to obtain:

Zone: 14
Easting: 252608
Norting: 4683531

I need to show this point in the map.

Someone could explain my how to do it? Thank you.

My present .map file is:

MAP
  IMAGETYPE      PNG
  EXTENT   0.000000 -205.000000 300.000000 0.000000
  SIZE           600 410
  SHAPEPATH      "data"
  IMAGECOLOR     255 180 0
  FONTSET "fonts/fonts.list"

  #PROJECTION
   # "proj=laea"
   # "ellps=clrk66"
   # "lat_0=45"
   # "lon_0=-100"
    #
    # Alternatively, you can specify an EPSG code.
    # "init=epsg:2163"
    #
  #END

  # Start of LAYER DEFINITIONS --------------------------------------------
-

    LAYER # Capa de raster
    NAME mapafig
    DATA "raster/figueres.tif"
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE RASTER
    PROCESSING "BANDS=1"
    #OFFSITE 71 74 65 #Color que ha de ser transparent

    #PROJECTION
    #  "init=epsg:4326"
    #END
  END # Fi capa de raster