Installation

Till Adams adams at TERRESTRIS.DE
Wed Jul 27 10:24:57 EDT 2005

Geraint Lee wrote:
> Till Adams wrote:
>
>> Geraint Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to install mapserver for several days now, coming
>>> accross a number of installation problems (with other programs like gd,
>>> jpeg-2b...) which i've overcome... now i'm stuck on mapserver.
>>>
>>> gd, jpeg, freetype2, libiconv and libpng are all installed on the server
>>> (FreeBSD 4.11)... anyway, here's the output from:
>>> ./configure --with-png=/usr/local --with-jpeg=/usr/local
>>> --with-freetype=/usr/local --without-xpm --with-libiconv=/usr/local
>>> --with-gd=/usr/local
>>> --
>>> configure: checking where FreeType 2.x is installed...
>>>        using libfreetype from -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath
>>> -Wl,/usr/local/lib -lfreetype -lz
>>> checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... no
>>>        using libfreetype -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath
>>> -Wl,/usr/local/lib -lfreetype -lz from system libs.
>>> configure: checking where Zlib is installed...
>>> checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
>>>        using libz from system libs.
>>> configure: checking where PNG is installed...
>>>        using libpng from -L/usr/local/lib64 -lpng
>>> configure: checking whether we should include JPEG support...
>>>        using libjpeg from system -L/usr/local/lib64 -ljpeg
>>> configure: checking where libiconv is installed...
>>> checking for iconv_open in -lc... no
>>> checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... yes
>>>        using libiconv from -L/usr/local/lib64 -liconv
>>>        libiconv found. Enabling internationalization (-DUSE_ICONV)
>>> configure: checking for GD 2.0.12 or higher...
>>> checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... no
>>> configure: checking whether GD needs libiconv...
>>> checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... no
>>> configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in
>>> /usr/local.  Make sure GD 2.0.12 or higher is compiled before calling
>>> configure. You may also get this error if you didn't specify the
>>> appropriate location for one of GD's dependencies (freetype, libpng,
>>> libjpeg or libiconv).
>>> --
>>> all of those files exist in /usr/local/lib and /local - does anyone have
>>> any suggestions at all as to what the problem may be.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Geraint
>>

>> Geraint,
>>
>> which OS (Debian Linux, Suse, edHat, etc.) do you use?
>>
>> We have several step-to-step descriptions (sorry for not making them
>> open to everybody till now) for Win, Suse 9.x, Debian Woody and Sarge,
>> Mandrake, RedHat and FreeBSD. I may send you the appropriate for you.
>>
>> Fiorst of all - the easiest may be just to try a
>>
>> # /sbin/ldconfig /usr/local/lib -v
>>
>> and
>>
>> # /sbin/ldconfig /local -v
>>
>> to make the libs known to your system. Also add these pathes to the
>> file /etc/ld.so.config, so you don't have to do this every time you
>> reboot.
>>
>> Greetings from Bonn, Till
>>

> Hi,

> [...]
Geraint,

it's OpenOffice format - hope you may read this - if there are any
comments, please add and send it back

Send it in a minute direct, so I don't bory this list with attaschments
- have fun! Till

--

Mit freundlichen Grüssen aus Bonn,

Till Adams

*  released: AmeiN! ArcMap-Export-2-UMN  *
*        LiveLinux 'WebGIS on CD'        *
*        http://www.terrestris.de        *

Dipl. Geogr. Till Adams
terrestris, H. Paulsen& T. Adams GbR
Siemensstr. 8 * 53121 Bonn
Tel.: 0228 962 899 52 * Fax.: 0228 962 899 57
info at terrestris.de * http://www.terrestris.de