PHP & Map Script

Lester Caine lester at LSCES.CO.UK
Thu Mar 3 12:52:13 EST 2005

Hannah wrote:

> I am making a fault reporting system for a council using GIS.  Does anyone
> have any ideas how you would enter a postcode into a form and then
That is the first problem. There are copies of POSTCODE table with
National Grid reference data, but to use it commercially you would have
to obtain a licence.
Check with your council if they have a full PAF extract for the area of
interest, then may already have it, and if it has Grid references you
have a starting point.
> consequently on pressing go/submit it would load the appropriate area of
> the map.  Then click on the map to specify where a fault is and pass
Then we need a map ;) That one is licensed from Ordnance Survey, but the
councils planning department may already have a licence for that.
POSTCODE data can be used to select a centre point of the bit you want.
So you probably need to sort out what scale of map is needed for the job
you are trying to do.
> variables of the coordinates over to a form to be posted to the council so
> it can be fixed.
Not much help so far, but once you know the source of the data, then we
can work out how to use it ;)

--
Lester Caine