PHP/MapScript preventing proper working of MapServer (was: Newbie stucked - no maps at all.)

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo.lists at FABRICADEIDEIAS.COM
Mon Mar 14 13:07:57 EST 2005

Hi,

No answer from the list, but I managed to find the apparent root of all
my problems: php/mapscript.

I only removed --with-php from my configure and everything else started
working for the first time.

I currently have the following mapserver installation:

MapServer version 4.4.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Both MSAutoTests and MapServer demo are working fine. I will start
working on my application now.

This setup uses MapServer 4.4.1, GDAL 1.2.5, Proj 4.4.8, php 4.3.10, GD
2.0.32,  Freetype 2.1.5 and Apache 1.3.33 over Linux 2.6.9. I mentioned
php just for the sake of completeness as it's sadly unusable right now.

My advice is: keep away from php/mapscript by now. I couldn't find
anything wrong with my setup so I'm assuming php/mapscript it to blame
for all my prior difficulties.

If anyone more knowledgeable is interested in looking at this issue, I
can help testing, debuging etc. I would really prefer to access
MapServer from php instead of through CGI but I'm clueless where else to
look for fixes related to php/mapscript.

Thanks again,

Rodrigo Severo