I need the ability to be able to display ECW and JPEG2000 format files within MapServer via a Community Mapbuilder client which sends WMS requests for the images to MapServer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Nov 30 19:37:01 EST 2006

John Mitchell wrote:
> Frank,
>
> The ECW is already in a compressed format, so this means that the image
> is compressed another 95%?  This additional compression is for
> performance purposes?; does it affect the image quality?

John,

The imagery is decompressed within mapserver for rendering purposes, and
then (if output is to ecw) re-compressed.  So the 95% is relative to
uncompressed form, not cumulative.   Even if the original image was
at 95% compression the process of decompressing and recompressing can result
in additional image damage.

Best regards,