[mapserver-users] OSM data rendering using Mapserver

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Oct 29 10:20:37 EDT 2009

Ali_ wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to MapServer and wanted to render OSM data through that. I followed
> the tutorial
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmData
> but unfortunately I am unable to run it at the final stage. I am on the last
> step where I use 'make' command to compile osm.map file as an output but
> something seems wrong. I am getting 3 syntax errors in makefile. Now I am
> using Borland C++ compiler make utility. Before that I tried with TC
> compiler make utility. I was getting 5 syntax errors before but now its only
> 3. So I have some points in my mind which if you could clarify.

cpp is the GNU C preprocessor, you might have better luck if you install
cygwin on Windows.

> 1) The other map files such as landuse, buildings and highways have not MAP
> keyword at the start of each file. Though I tried with this but still
> couldn't get it working.

The map file is broken into logical pieces and uses lots of variables
that get resolved and replaces by the cpp. You can not use them as they
are. When cpp runs all the pieces get assembled into the usable mapfile.

> 2) The osm_line and osm_road table have not been assigned the primary key
> while conversion using osm2pgsql and where we query in the map file we use
> USING UNIQUE osm_id which may be incompatible and may be make is unable to
> give the result.

This probably will not impact mapserver running unless you are guerying
the features.

> 3) The first line in the makefile CPP=cpp tells about the compiler we are
> using. Could you tell me which exactly is the compiler I should use.

This is the GNU C preprocessor.

> I shall be grateful if I could get some comments from you. Thanking you in
> anticipation.
>
> Cheers,
> Ali

Hope this helps,