[mapserver-users] Error Message in WMS service

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Fri Apr 8 12:22:51 EDT 2011

No, that doesn't work. It's an OpenLayers application, so the WMS
request automatically computes an extent in excess of the screen. The
second solution is really a bit of a kludge, don't you think so? :-)

I use another kludge: handle the complete WMS request via PHP Mapscript:
return a an XML file for a GetCapabilities request, and an image for
everything else (http://mapserver.org/ogc/mapscript.html). This will not
cover the complete WMS protocol, but works fine for simple map requests,
both in OpenLayers, ArcGIS, MapInfo and QGis. And it gives me at least
complete control over error handling, with GD-produced error images at
the right position. It's the only way I am aware of to produce WMS
output that can be debugged easily.

Jan