[mapserver-users] Tcl Mapscript in 5.6

Thiago Tiedtke dos Reis tiedtke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 12:22:24 EDT 2011

Hi Everybody,

At some months ago, I was trying to compile and run the Mapscript extension
in Tcl scripts.

In Linux, with a little patch, this was easily solved, and the extension was
generated, providing the methods, objetcs, etc in the Tcl scripts...

In Windows, was a little bit hard, due the problems with DLL Panic,
unresolved references of library in linkage,etc, but the extension was
generated too.

In my dept, we are using these extension in our system, with great sucess.

But the procedures to compile the extension in windows is a workaround,
nothing automated like the configure + make, or in my case, nmake ms-tcl
(like build prodecures of Tamas sdk).

I used the last release of sdk and libs provided by Tamas (5.6.6) to compile
the dll extension:

http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1500-gdal-1-8-0-mapserver-5-6-6.zip

I applied this patch:

trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/raw-attachment/ticket/1533/tclmodule.i

And all features that I know in PHP mapscript (e.g.) now are avaliable in
Tcl, including the dynamic objects creation. A interesting development that
we are using, is put the mapscript process to run in a different Tcl Thread,
this is nice for user interfaces.

By the way, using these patch:

http://tcl-map.googlecode.com/files/gdal-1.6.1-tcl_bindings.diff (with some
diferences of lines), easily I generated the extension of gdal 1.8  to be
loaded in Tcl scripts.

I used Visual Studio 2008 to generate the extension, but the intention do
this using mingw (I have not yet succeeded, due incompatibilities of dll
dependencies).

I believe that the update of tcl mapscript (stopped in version 3.5 of
mapserver) can be easily (or not ... :| ) updated to current version of
mapserver, with little modifications in makefiles of gcc and nmake.

If Anyone have insterest, suggestions, mail-me.

Best Regards,

Eng. Msc. Thiago Tiedtke dos Reis
Research and Development Department
Engemap - Geoinformation