[Marketing] random catchup on sponsorship

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 12:55:54 PDT 2016

Re Featured Sponsor:

I think it a good idea for encouraging more sponsors. I'm open to
showing all sponsors on rotation on the web page, weighted by how much
the sponsor pays.

A Platinum sponsor pays 40 times more than a Bronze sponsor, and so
should get at least 40 times more imprints. (Probably 80 times more
imprints as a sweetener).

With regards to who we select as sponsors. My first reaction is to
suggest that any company prepared to pay OSGeo money should be allowed
to sponsor. (That process should be reasonably self selecting). However,
Eli makes good points about caring about a Sponor's business.

I'd be inclined to work on a principle of ensuring sponsors "Do no evil
(to OSGeo's reputation)". If a software hosting company which doesn't
seem to be obviously using much OSGeo Software, but still wants to
sponsor us, that should be ok.

So I'd suggest Eli's selection criteria for OSGeo sponsors could be
couched as "Expectations of OSGeo sponsors":

/We are aware that OSGeo sponsorship effects the reputation of both the
sponsor and OSGeo, usually in a positive way. That is why you are
considering sponsorship. In order to ensure the relationship is a
positive one, we have the following expectations of our sponsors: .../

/* Add in "do no evil" type points/

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft