[OpenLayers-Users] WFS-T example won't work because of error in gears_init.js line 51

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Tue May 26 09:06:02 EDT 2009

Hi Barbara,

  Have you tried to look "step-by-step" at what's going on in the code
using firebug ?  Do you see the request sent ?  Do you get a response ?
Is there a server-side error message ?

  Try to figure exactly where the error occurs by putting breakpoints.
That might helps a lot,

Alexandre

Barbara Fiederer wrote:
> Hi out there,
>
> I'm new to OpenLayers, so this might be an easy problem, but I can't get it solved on my own.
>
> At the moment I try to understand the examples on the OpenLayers.org-Site and to adjust them to my data. The easier ones worked out fine. But now I cannot get a WFS-T example to work. I tried two of them in the examples list of OpenLayers.org and for a last try the WFS-T Demo provided by Geoserver.
>
> Two examples throw the same error in gears_init.js line 51 "factory = new ActiveXObject('Gears.Factory'); ".
> I tried to install it, but since I do not have Autocad installed it won't work.
>
> In the end I tried to copy the source text of the geoserver example, that works fine on the geoserver I use and I adjust only the pathnames to css, openLayers-Library and geodata (tasmania) on the same geoserver, but get the same error.
>
> Has anyone got an idea that could help me.
>
> I use FF 3.0.10, OL 2.7 on windows XP
>
> Thanks, Barbara

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears