[pdal] [pipeline] How to use the --progress option ?

GUIMMARA, Sébastien (External) sebastien.guimmara.external at airbus.com
Mon Mar 20 01:43:15 PDT 2017

Very simply, we have an interactive visualization application that can load heavy files (notably LAS files) in a background task to be displayed,  and the user can monitor the progress via a progress bar. This can take up to five minutes for 200 MB files, and currently our progress bar is stuck to a fixed number until the pipeline finishes, giving the impression that he process has stalled.

I believe the writers.gdal stage of the pipeline (readers.las ->  filters.reprojection -> writers.gdal) is the longest of the three, so ideally, the GDAL writer would report progress in the form of a percentage with increments of 1% (or more if there is too much overhead) would be excellent to avoid the stalled progress bar syndrome.

We could mark the beginning and end of the main loop (the one that iterates over all the points in the point view) with a special token “START_MAINLOOP”/”END_MAINLOOP” to warn the listening application that it can start counting progress:

READYFILE
START_MAINLOOP
1
2
..
100
END_MAINLOOP

This could be a standard formatting for all stages, so we could reliably monitor the progress of any pipeline.

Regards,
Sébastien