[pdal] Does Entwine support distributed builds?

Piero Toffanin pt at masseranolabs.com
Thu Jun 13 04:40:18 PDT 2019

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the usage of Entwine and was hoping somebody
could help me? The use case is merging point clouds that have been
generated on different machines. Each of these point clouds is part to
the same final dataset. Entwine works great with the current workflow:

entwine scan -i a.las b.las ... -o output/

for i in {a, b, ... }

     entwine build -i output/scan.json -o output/ --run 1

The "--run 1" is done to lower the memory usage. On small datasets
runtime is excellent, but with more models the runtime starts to
increase quite a bit. I'm looking specifically to see if there are ways
to speed the generation of the EPT index. In particular, since I
generate the various LAS files on different machines, I was wondering if
there was a way to let each machine contribute its part of the index
from the individual LAS files (such index mapped to a network location)
or if a workflow is supported in which each machine can build its own
EPT index and then merge all EPT indexes into one? I don't think this is
possible, but wanted to check.

Thank you for any help,

-Piero