[pdal] Point cloud viewer in QGIS

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:59:35 PDT 2020

Hi Nicolas

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 5:05 PM Nicolas Cadieux
<njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I am wondering if you can work using the new mesh engine that is now in QGIS?  Can you build on top of that or is that a completely different ball game?  You could at least contact the programmers  that did that part for some inspiration.

The mesh layer support in QGIS has been worked on mostly by my
colleagues at Lutra Consulting and previously by myself when it was
still a QGIS plugin, so I am familiar with the internals. Mesh layer
in QGIS has a bit different background and focus (at least for now) -
it has been mostly used for visualization of flood models or
oceanographic/climate data with time series data on vertices or faces.
Generally, these models have complexity in order of thousands of
elements, exceptionally few millions of elements, so the mesh layer
data structures in QGIS are not really prepared to deal with millions
or billions of points that are common with point clouds.

Regards
Martin