[postgis-devel] PostGIS and the new Proj4 transformation pipeline

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 06:24:47 PDT 2017

Hi Paul,
I haven't investigated in depth yet but we could keep both the options:

- the current ST_Transform with the usual the cs2cs paradigm (helmert
params from/to WGS84 pivot CRS), without explicit transformation selection

- an enhanced ST_Transform where the user can ask for a specific pipeline
to be used. In this case the user can insert the desired pipeline
definition or select it from sonewhere. Maybe spatial_ref_sys could be
extended to make room for transormations definitions (CRS to CRS)

The underlying system could be unified to use the new pipeline API,
translating the old init strings to a pipeline. This isn't clear to me if
Proj4 will be able to translate from the cs2cs approach to the new one. I
will investigate.

giovanni