[postgis-users] large postgres/postgis databases

Chris Faulkner chrisf at oramap.com
Mon Aug 11 13:08:20 PDT 2003

Hello

I have just started to look at PostGIS as a means of managing my vector
data.

I am interested to know the volumes of data that people have created and
indexed in their geometry fields. The manual mentions that a table of 1
million rows has been indexed on a Solaris machine and that it took an hour.
Are there any limits to the use of the GiST index ? Would it work on 10
million rows, for example ? If I had such a large table, what sort of spec
machine would I need to build the index -- does the operation require a lot
of memory ? Any examples of the use on larger databases would be very
useful.

Thanks all

Chris