[postgis-users] ARSDE Esri comparison

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Aug 26 18:19:38 PDT 2003

If you are looking for a comparison to a proprietary product,
OracleSpatial is a better analogue to PostGIS than ArcSDE is.  ArcSDE
is a proprietary spatial middleware, tightly bound to the other ESRI
products.  As such, it is a handy systems integration tool for
organizations with lots of ESRI software.  PostGIS and OracleSpatial
are general purpose spatial databases. They provide basic spatial
functionality (spatial objects, indexing, analytical functions) but
require other applications on top of them to "do" things.  Mapserver is
an example of an application which makes use of the capabilities of
both PostGIS and OracleSpatial as datastores.

Fundamentally, I do not think a direct comparison of PostGIS and ArcSDE
would be productive, it is too much apples-to-oranges.
P.