[postgis-users] How to generalize or simplify a Polygon

Chris Faulkner chrisf at oramap.com
Thu Aug 28 09:37:27 PDT 2003

Good luck with your search for an implementation of a line generalization. I
am using Java Topology Suite (http://www.vividsolutions.com/jts/jtshome.htm)
with postgis and was hoping that they would offer something similar.
Unfortunately, it doesn't.

I would have thought that your expectation that the resulting polygon should
cover at least as much area as the original is unrealistic. It you
generalise a line around a polygon, you change it's shape and if you change
shape, you change area. Full stop.

Chris