[postgis-users] PostgreSQL/PostGIS Microsoft Windows Users Qu estion

Christoph Spoerri spoerri at duke.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:25:46 PDT 2003

I actually started this week looking into creating a OleDB provider. ESRI
actually provides C++ code for a sample provider which uses a personal
Geodatabase (they use the ArcObject model as database access method) as
backend.

After looking at the code and documentation, I believe a read-only provider
shouldn't be to hard to code. A read-write provider is a different story and
would need more research/effort.

Yet one has to be aware that this will be only a provider for simple features.
There won't be any access to fancy geodatabase models, etc. For this type of
support some serious development work would be needed, requiring money and
time.

As for where I stand with my development efforts: I just started. I'm
currently trying to install the postgres libraries on my windows machine.
Once this is done I'll start working on the provider. Since I'm doing this
(mostly) during my free time, it may take a few weeks till I have a first
version that does something and can be used for testing. And as always, any
help is appreciated and welcomed.

Christoph