[postgis-users] PostgreSQL/PostGIS Microsoft Windows Users Qu estion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 29 09:12:41 PDT 2003

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> If there are enough people interested, I can put together a project plan
> for the "ultimate PostGIS / ArcMap connector" which would allow full
> read-write directly in the database. It involves the complete
> implementation of an OleDB provider for PostgreSQL however, so it would
> be fairly involved. I don't know if enough people have budget to support
> this kind of thing (it is almost a truism, if you already have ArcMap,
> you are not interested in PostGIS, although there are of course numerous
> exceptions to prove the rule :) We have done some small group projects
> in the past, where a set of PostGIS users pool funds to push a development.
> Paul

Paul,

Does ArcGIS now support read-write support via OLE DB? When I last played with
this support I thought it was read-only.  I have experience in implementing
a simple feature OLE DB layer (over OGR and FMEObjects) and it apparently did
work in read-only mode with ArcGIS within ESRI's labs.  I don't know if the
fixes they made on their side ever made it into their next release version
or not as I no longer have a working ArcGIS license.

If full read/write support from within ArcGIS is practical via OLE DB I
might well be able to provide some help to such a project.

I would add that in addition to PostGIS, there are folks who would like to
see WFS-T support from within ArcGIS by some means and I had been wondering
if this might be practical via OLE DB.

Best regards,