[postgis-users] out of memory when using simplify

John Cole john.cole at uai.com
Wed Sep 29 08:15:26 PDT 2004

Hello,
  I'm trying to do some processing on a roads layer and simplify it for
rendering speed.  In ArcInfo, I would use a dissolve on the hwy_num field
and then simplify it to 500 meters.

  From the documentation, PostGIS seems like it can do the same thing, first
selecting into a new table using either the GeomUnion or Collect aggregates
and then again using simplify, however using simplify returns the following
error:

ERROR:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 4172712.

here is my query:
    select hwy_num, simplify(the_geom, 500) as the_geom from ra1bb

where ra1bb is created from:
    select hwy_num, geomunion(the_geom) as the_geom into ra1bb from ra1
group by hwy_num

Another question:  what is the difference between collect and geomunion
(besides speed)?  Which one would better approximate an ArcInfo dissolve
function?

Thanks,

John Cole