[postgis-users] Solution of: Cannot compile postgis on Fedora Core 4

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Mon Aug 15 15:04:47 PDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 15:15:30 PM -0500, Jaime Carrera
(jaicarrerahdez at yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem and solved it by installing postgresql FROM
> source (i.e. compiling it).
> I had this problem in Red Hat 9 and when I upgraded to fedora,
> decided to compile postgres from source instead of downloading the
> rpms.

Yes, I can confirm now that even on Fedora Core 4 you have to do the
same thing to compile postgis without errors:

download postgresql sources
compile and install them
go to contrib directory in postgresql sources
compile there as explained on www.postgis.org

I haven't *tried* it yet, but it did make and make install where I
wanted without reporting any errors.

Too bad it doesn't work with standard RPMs. I hope to have time some
day to figure out how to patch the configure/Makefile of postgis to
make it work there. Or is it something more serious than a simple
difference in paths??

Thanks to all who answered,

       Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

None can love freedom heartily but good men; the rest love not freedom
but license.                                               John Milton