[postgis-users] More on: Cannot compile postgis on Fedora Core 4

Steven Bowden steveb at bundaberg.qld.gov.au
Tue Aug 16 15:34:02 PDT 2005

I find the easiest way to install postgis with postgresql rpms is as follows.
install postgres via the rpm's.
install the postgresql src rpm
change to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS directory to where the postgresql.spec file is
locates and execute the following command
rpmbuild -bc postgresql.spec

That is the same as doing the ./configure and make and will generate all of
the files that are needed for a postgis install.

After that process is finished copy the postgis source to the
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/postgresql-<version>/contrib directory and install as
per the postgis instructions.

This procedure has worked for me from RH9 through to Centos 4

Hope it helps
Steve