[postgis-users] PolygonFromText

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 07:20:27 PDT 2005

Hi Ahmet,

What do you mean exactly by "an example containing usage" ?

this query generates a triangle polygon from its textual representation:

select polygonfromtext('POLYGON((0 0, 1 0, 1 1, 0 0))', -1);

Note the 2 parenthesis enclosing polygon coordinates (shell and holes
are separated by parenthesis in a polygon)
The last point must be the same as the first one.
-1 is the polygon's SRID. -1 means "no SRID" for Postgis.

Hope this helps

Nicolas