[postgis-users] Easy step-by-step guide to load TIGER/Line data into PostGIS?

dblasby at openplans.org dblasby at openplans.org
Mon Aug 22 07:57:52 PDT 2005

Matt,

I'm just in the process of loading TIGER data, and I've written some
documentation on how to do it.

The document is long and a bit raw (I'm waiting for our new machine to
arrive before I test on an area larger than NY); most of it is QA/QC
checks.  There's a bug in the OGR polygon building functions -- there's
a long document explaining how to rebuild the polygons using
postgis/GEOS commands.

If you're just interested in loading raw TIGER into postgis, then its
really simple;

1. download the latest FWTools (it comes with ogr2ogr and has linux and
windows binary downloads)

2. Uncompress the tiger .zip file into a directory and, from inside that
directory, run;

WINDOWS (1st file):
ogr2ogr -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"dbname=new_tiger user=... password=...
host=localhost" .

WINDOWS (all other files):
ogr2ogr -append -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"dbname=new_tiger user=...
password=... host=localhost" .

A much more detailed summary is here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Load+TIGER+to+PostGIS
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Dealing+with+tigerpoly.pl+problems

Remember, this is a bit raw; I'll update it at the end of this week,
when our machine arrives.

dave