[postgis-users] Upgrade Procedure .9->1

David Bitner osgis.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 11:40:34 PST 2005

There have been a number of sporadic posts about the correct upgrade
procedures between .9 and earlier versions of PostGIS to version 1.
Before the final release, could someone write a detailed how-to for
upgrading an existing .9 (or earlier) PostGIS database.  Write now
there is a section in README.postgis that has instructions that would
leave many old functions followed by a reference to
postgis_restore.pl.

I would suggest either updating the section in README.postgis or
perhaps adding a README.upgrade.  This how-to should show a step by
step from the pg_dump to fully restoring the spatial tables with the
old geometries being updated to lwgeoms.

I realize that there are multiple ways to go about this -- many of
which have been discussed on the lists -- but, it would be very useful
to have one method that should work for most documented in a central
place.

If something like this exists and I am missing it, I appologize.

Thanks,
David