[postgis-users] Error while importing data

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Mar 14 05:05:58 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 01:02:31PM +0000, Nigel Kukard wrote:

> strk at refractions.net wrote:
>
> >Here you specify that the geometry column will store geometries with
> >4 dimensions (XYZM).
> >
> heh, shp2pgsql specified that.. not me ... :-)
>
> >If you want to be free to add other-dimensioned
> >geometries an option you have is to drop the enforce_dims_the_geom
> >constraint
> >on your table.
> >
> cool
>
> >Note that in that case your geometry_columns entry will
> >contain a non-true specification.
> >
> would this affect mapserver btw? I'm up to try and experiment anything,
> and help where I can.
>
> >You might want to use a fake value
> >there, as a notice of 'freely-dimensioned', like '-1'.
> >

> sounds like a good idea!
>
> >Maybe we should support -1 as a dimension value to specify this, like
> >we do for SRID...
> >

> I'm up to test it out!!

Nigel, to say the truth SRID=-1 *special* handling is not used yet,
but has been proposed. It won't be in PostGIS-1.0.0 though. The
dimension -1 will probably be implemented at the same time.

About mapserver you shouldn't have any problem as all geometries are
converted to 2d before parsing anyway, I don't think it uses
the 'dimension' field of geometry_columns at all.

--strk;