[postgis-users] cannot enter password to load shp

RIBOT, Nicolas nicolas.ribot at astrium.eads.net
Mon Mar 14 07:08:24 PST 2005

> I'm trying to load shapefiles into postgis in the DOS command > window and
with the interface "s2pface". When running shp2pgsql I am requested to enter
a password on the DOS prompt, > but I cannot write anything on the command
line. I'm using XP > Pro and am not sure if it has to do with XP or anything
else.

> Did anybody have the same experience. I would appreciate any > useful
tips, even if my question may not be directly related > to postgis.

Hello,
S2pface does not include a box to enter the postgresql password.
2 options then: either set your postgresql access to "trust" (in the
pg_hba.conf file) and you wont need to enter a password,
or (better) use shp2pgsql in command line. It is pretty straightforward.
Typing shp2pgsql in a command windows will show you the command line help.
(sp2face is just a GUI to shp2pgsql)

Nicolas