[postgis-users] What are people using to load gps data?

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Sun May 13 18:15:56 PDT 2007

On 5/13/07, Will Muir <will at mtintouch.net> wrote:
> I was following another thread on this list about gps data and
> postgis, and was wondering how people are getting data into postgis.
> Me personally I use gpsbabel to do the downloads and then I have been
> use a python script to extract out way points.  With tracks and
> routes a work in progress.  I have searched for an app that already
> does this but there does not seem to be anything readily available.
> Other then using gpx2shp and then shp2pgsql, which I have done also.

gpsbabel -> gpx2shp -> shp2pgsql works great for me. I just wrap it in
a little shell/bat script so everytime I need to get data off my gps
into the database, its just a single command.

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes
the existing model obsolete" - R. Buckminster Fuller