[postgis-users] Best way to

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Wed Nov 21 07:56:54 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 14:53 +0530, louvy.joseph at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Paul. We are already using multiple instances of geoservers with
> single postgis server. (We are starting new geoserver dynamically based
> on the load). At this point, I don't have enough load to saturate the
> database but I am just preparing myself to a condition where too many
> geoservers (that would mean too many users behind them in turn) would
> swamp the single database instance.
>
> Are there any benchmark numbers for postgresql/postgis on how many
> simultaneous transactions it can handle? 80% of our data is wfs or wms
> but 20% is going to be wfs-t updates.
>
> Can somebody please point me to any benchmark numbers for
> postgresql/postgis system?

As a general rule, database performance is quite sensitive to the
environment in which it is operating; Including hardware, OS,
configuration, load profile (queries- select, insert, update mix, use of
indexes etc), data structures (de-normalisation etc).  For any given set
of data it is quite possible to get extremely varying performance by
optimising the setup for different types of operations, so generic
benchmarks are going to be of little use.

Your best bet may well be to profile the load you're putting on postgis
and then do performance testing using something like jmeter.  That way
you'll get a reasonable idea of how far you can push your system before
it hits the wall.

Regards,
Tim Bowden