[postgis-users] libiconv problem

Jeff Stubbs jeff at cjstubbs.org
Sat Sep 8 10:35:27 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm working within the MacPorts system on OS X. The portfile for
postgis is currently at version 1.2.1, and I'm trying to update it to
the latest (1.3.1). PostGIS builds and installs but is linking to the
libiconv library in /usr/lib, instead of the libiconv port in /opt/
local/lib. The MacPorts system tries to be self contained with it's
dependencies, so I have been trying to tweak the install to rely on
the MP install of libiconv. PostGIS recognizes that proj, geos, and
postgresql are installed in the /opt/local directories.

I saw a thread from December-2005 that another user was having a
similar problem with a Debian system, and I've been cautiously trying
the suggestions to workaround the issues, but with no luck. I'm a
relative nu-bee with modifying makefiles, so, no doubt, I'm missing
something blindingly obvious. Can a more experienced user or
developer, throw some light on the issue for me?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff