[postgis-users] PostGIS on PostgreSQL < 8.0

Håvard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Fri Sep 14 02:36:33 PDT 2007

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> How many folks are using the latest PostGIS on PgSQL < 8.0?
>  From a development point-of-view, the quantity of
> backwards-compatibility code is growing and growing, and that makes the
> code base a lot less pleasant.
>
> Are there still lots of people using PgSQL < 8.0 with the latest PostGIS?

While I can't point to specific people using pgSQL < 8.0,
I still think it is too early to require PostgreSQL >= 8.
Stability is very important, and there must still be many
organisations using PostgreSQL 7 (and many of them will
most probably not be on the postgis mailing lists...).

If new versions of PostGIS are not going to be pg < 8
compatible, I think it is important that the latest
compatible version is maintained as a stable standards
(SQL/MM Spatial, ...) compliant version (bug fixes to ensure
correct operation of all geometry related operators).

PostGIS as a product is not as mature as PostgreSQL, so I
guess many will currently be interested in upgrading
PostGIS more frequently than PostgreSQL.

Håvard Tveite

--
Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, UMB