[postgis-users] PostGIS topology use ?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jul 1 06:43:33 PDT 2010

strk wrote:
> Hello post-GIS users!
> I was wondering how many of you guys (if any) ever
> tried or even currently makes use of the topology
> model provided with PostGIS in the topology/ directory.
>
> It's been there since 2005 (times of postgis-1.1.x, geos-2.1,
> postgresql-7.3).
>
> For the record: it has been broken for some time as PostGIS
> changed function signatures and PostgreSQL switched a couple
> of major versions, but works again in trunk.
>
> So, did anyone try it ?

Yes, a few years back, but it did not seem to support the use cases I
was looking at. Use cases:

1. working with polygon coverages to maintain boundary coherence during
edits
2. simplify adjacent polygons without leaving gaps between them.
3. editing road networks and maintaining coherence of joined segments
and intersections

While these are more high level application ideas and I guess at the
lowest level you could build a topology that would support any of these,
where did not seem to be support for any higher level functions that
would help support implementing these ideas.

Its been too many cycle since I tried it and my memory is not that clear
on this any more, but that is what I remember. That said, I think it is
very cool and would like to see more movement on it, but never found any
funding possibilities because it seemed like it needed a lot to mature
it as a product.

Thanks for the fixes to trunk.

-Steve W