[postgis-users] How to import SHP without superuser permission?

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 00:56:13 PDT 2010

I tried to import SHP files into postGIS. As usual, I use shp2pgsql to create the SQL script, and then I use psql to execute the script.

The postgreSQL user acccount I use with psql is the owner of the target database. However, it is not superuser.

When I run psql to execute the script, I got the following error:
ERROR:  permission denied for relation geometry_columns

I eventually decided to give superuser permission to the user account. After I gave superuser permission, the script ran without problem.

Question: why did I got permission denied error? The user account is already the owner of the target database; why can't it import the data. Is there a way to import SHP files into postGIS database without superuser permission?

Thanks,
-Kresh