[postgis-users] Problems installing postgis 2.0 on windows 7 32 bit

Andrew Joseph ap.joseph at live.com
Wed Nov 23 20:27:37 PST 2011

Hello fellow postgis users,

I am trying to figure out how to
install the most current postgis 2.0 binaries  for windows 7 32 bit. The
instructions posted in the readme and on the download page are a very unclear
and vague to someone like myself who is not familiar with installing programs
other than simply downloading a file, double clicking it, and then pressing an
install button.

I will explicity explain
my  install process below (I didn’t download anything else except the
binaries (r8221) and of course postgres 9.1.1
which is currently installed:http://postgis.refractions.net/download/windows/experimental.php)

First, I downloaded the
postgis-pg91-binaries-2.0.0svn folder, extracted it to my C drive and it
contained the following files/directories inside:

bin

lib

Plugins.d

share

makepostgisdb.bat

README.txt

README_EXTENSIONS.txt

README_Raster.txt

Then I referred to the
directions on the website which state the following:

9.1+ CREATE EXTENSION syntax. To
install:

First
copy the share/extension files into your PostgreSQL share/extension folder.

Then
in any database you'd like to spatially enable, run at least postgis (which
contains both geometry and raster support) and optionally postgis_topology
commands.

CREATE
EXTENSION postgis;

CREATE EXTENSION postgis_topology;

So, I follow these instructions and put the contents of
extension in the extension folder and the contents of contrib into the contrib
folder of my postgis install. I didn’t worry about any of the other files
because it doesn’t specify that I needed to in the aforementioned install
directions.

Next I load pg admin and try to spatially enable a
database by running the commands specified and I get the following message:

ERROR:
could not access file "$libdir/postgis-2.0": No such file or
directory

**********
Error **********

ERROR:
could not access file "$libdir/postgis-2.0": No such file or
directory

SQL state:
58P01

I’m sure I am forgetting some
steps, but this is all that the install page stated that I needed to do, so
that is what I did. Again, I have no knowledge of installing programs manually
and what that entails.

If someone could please give me
explicit instructions on exactly how to get a fully functional postgis 2.0
install on my computer with all features enabled and a template created in my
database (like the 1.53 postgis stack builder install creates) I would really
appreciate it!

I have been struggling with this
for weeks and I honestly have no idea what to do as I can’t find any detailed
instructions online.

If my version of postgres is
incompatible I am happy to get a version that will work with 2.0 as my main
reason for having postgres is to use postgis.

Thanks,

Andrew