[postgis-users] Geocoding cross streets?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Nov 28 14:39:10 PST 2011

On 11/28/2011 5:28 PM, Aren Cambre wrote:
> I think that *geocode_intersection* function would be perfect!
>
> I just entered an enhancement request at
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1333.
>
> I totally understand about merging into the existing *geocode* function.
> A counter-strategy might be to require the *&* symbol? But if you're

This is actually not a good idea from the point of view that the Tiger
data does have street names the contain an & character like "B & O",
"Tom & Ann" or something like that, and others. I already did this
analysis when looking at PAGC geocoder and Tiger data. You will also
fine the word "and" in some street names so that is not good as a
separator. In PAGC I arbitrarily pick the '@' character as it is not
used in the Tiger data and it reads as "street a (at) street b" which
seems as good as any definition for an intersection.

Thanks,
   -Steve W